Catalan in Andorra
The official language of the Principality of Andorra is Catalan.
Much of the Andorran population is foreign.. According to the distribution of the population by nationality, most come from Spain, Portugal and France.
In order to promote the official language and with the aim that the entire immigrant population knows Catalan, since 1988 the Language Policy Service of the Government of Andorra has been in charge of this promotion through the following resources:
- The free language consultation service by telephone.
- The campaigns of linguistic promotion of Catalan (Volunteers for the Language).
- The publication of printed texts which contain definitions in Catalan.
- Dissemination of legislation governing the use of the official language.
- The creation of Catalan self-learning centers where the user finds a large amount of means and materials to learn the language. The interested person chooses the days and time they want to dedicate to their Catalan studies. Catalan self-learning centers are free and remain open almost all year round.
In addition to all the resources of the Public Administration, inlingua Andorra offers Catalan courses to residents of the country and to foreign teachers working at inlingua.
In addition to the group courses or private lessons that take place throughout the year, during the summer inlingua offers intensive Catalan courses.